Friday, October 25, 2013

Simple Chicken Taquitos!


These chicken taquitos are so easy and very delicioso!  My family craves Mexican food at least once a week.  So I try to switch up what I'm making often.  I'm a stay home mom so I use my crock pot to cook my chicken breasts nice and tender and easily pulled apart.  Most people use their crock pots so they can leave the house for numerous hours and still come home to a hot meal.  Well, my husband is a total firebug!  (makes sure I unplug everything/blow out candles/super cautious)  Even though I already do that!  So I just use mine because its much easier.
 
I was lucky enough to get this recipe from my husbands, Aunt Ellen.  She is the epitome of a supermom! She loves to entertain, has twin 21 year old boys and another son who is a senior in high school.  Not to mention a hungry husband. She holds down a full time job, always looks fabulous, and her house is clean as a whistle!  How does she do it?!
 
 
 This recipe is easily tweaked to your taste. It can also be made lower in calories if you wish.  If you don't like spicier foods, leave out the chiles.  The original recipe didn't include them. Try different cheeses, like pepper jack or add some corn.  Whatevers clever.  So here's what you'll need:
 
4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 package shredded cheddar cheese
1 package flour or corn tortillas
1 4 oz can of diced green chiles
8 oz of soft cream cheese
1 packet taco seasoning
3/4 cup salsa verde
olive oil to brush with
garlic salt

 
 Cook chicken in Crock Pot for 4 hours on low. Depending on your C.P times may vary. Then fork shred and mix in taco seasoning.  Add your cream cheese, diced chiles and salsa verde until well mixed.  Go ahead and turn off your slow cooker.  Pre heat your regular oven at 400 degrees.  Place chicken mixture inside tortilla and sprinkle with shredded cheese.  This is where you can add as much or as little as you like.  Roll up the taquitos nice and tight and place on a cookie sheet with sides.  When your done rolling up all your taquitos brush them lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt.  I know these are bigger than traditional taquitos but that's how I roll. Get it? Haha
 
Bake away for 10 minutes at 400 so they get crisp, try not to burn the edges.  If they're getting too brown cover with foil. Then turn oven temp down to 350 and continue cooking 10 minutes.
Serve with sour cream, salsas, margaritas and maybe a big salad.  I hope you try making these and enjoy this easy and fun recipe!

 Gia approved!
 
Much love, Linzi
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. These sound great, might have to make for Dad and I.

    ReplyDelete